SQL Server 2008 Spatial, Google MAPS API

Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 by Nicki

At a recent TechDays event I was introduced to the spatial features in the latest version of SQL Server, 2008. Spatial apps has interested me for a while, but I never really got a chance to do anything, I suppose in a way due to the preceived complexity.


I wondered what I could to with the new sptial features. A farmer on one of the forums I frequent recently suggested that the fellow forumites acquire rainmeteres and report daily rainfall figures, as rainfall often differs sunstantially between areas just a few km apart. Well I thought, why not write an application allowing users to register their geographical locations and record their rainfall, and display the data on a map?

This is where Google Maps API comes in. It allows you to populate a map on your own website with your own objects. I was amazed at the amount of free custom controls available for the Google Maps API, and quickly put together the site.

You can see the end result here.

0 Responses to "SQL Server 2008 Spatial, Google MAPS API":