Ubuntu and 1.44mb floppy drive

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 by Nicki

A neighbour recently had a computer crash, and needed to get some files off floppy disks for her school. Luckily my old Athlon700 serving as a mythbuntu PVR still had a floppy drive.

I inserted the disk, and tried to mount it. It said the device did not exist. Huh? Then it dawned on me that the driver was possibly not loaded. I did some googling, and found out that you have to do a sudo modprobe floppy to load the driver before trying to mount it.

After I did that I was able to get all the files off the 3 disks and burned them onto CD. It was quite a trip down memory lane, I can't remember how many years it has been since I last used a floppy drive. Just the sound of the thing copying the files was almost foreign. And the speed, wow. We have become so used to USB flash drives. This was portable data back in the days.

0 Responses to "Ubuntu and 1.44mb floppy drive":