nVidia TV Out on mythbuntu

Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 by Nicki

I finally put in the LAN cable from my study/lab/network centre to the lounge so the mediacentre was moved to its final location close to the tv. Next up was getting the TV out to work to my tv. I used this site to get it working. Initally I thought I only had only black and white output, and struggled for 2 hours to try to get it working. I even went to far as to buy an S-Video - RCA cable, because a lot of references I found pointed to the fact that the RCA output on nVidia cards sometimes does not work correctly.


Well, after putting the new cable in, it still gave the same black & white results, but I now it works, because I just tested it on the DVD player. I used xclock to test, and it turns out I tried an incorrect/ignored command line option. After using the correct option, I have color! As they say: if it takes longer than 5 minutes it is probably a stupid mistake.

Next up is configuring the TV output to be the default/only display, and getting the remote blaster and my MNet decoder talking.

Here are the portions I had to add to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get TV output working.


Section "Device"
Identifier "Device_tv"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce2 MX 100/200"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "TV"
HorizSync 30-50
VertRefresh 50.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen_tv"
Device "Device_tv"
Monitor "TV"
DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Modes "720x576" "720x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout_tv"
Screen 0 "Screen_tv" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

0 Responses to "nVidia TV Out on mythbuntu":